Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day!

As a resident of North Carolina for much of my life, I have learned one certainty about January: stock up on bread. The mere mention of snow by the TV weather guy will send folks running to Harris Teeter to raid the bread asile (because God forbid we should run out of Nature's Own when there's an inch of snow on the ground). Even though our loaves of whole wheat generally sit untouched and molding in the breadbox, when the weather man said the "s" word last Monday, I did my dutiful bread run. And much to my surprise, when I woke up Tuesday morning -- SNOW! Not just a little snow...lots of snow! Six inches of snow! (You Yankees can quit laughing now...that's a lot for us!)

This was my son's first snowfall, and I was determined to enjoy it with him even though I'm not really a fan of the white stuff. We threw on as many layers as we could and set out the back door to try and make a snowman (#93) -- because what good is snow if you can't make a snowman?

However, it seems my little man takes after me: he hated the snow. Pretty soon his looks of amazement were replaced by cries of, "Noooooo! Mommy, I don't like it!" He hightailed it towards the house after just a few minutes. We spent the rest of our snow day cozied up inside, making "snow" angels on the bedroom floor.
I'll try and find a sled to save for our next snowfall (whether that's this year or two years from now is anyone's guess). In the meantime, maybe we'll head down to the beach this summer and make a "snowman" out of sand.

No comments: