Thursday, November 20, 2008

One Down, 100 To Go!


When I was in California last month, I got to catch up with Liz, one of my oldest friends. As we were walking along the beach in Coronado (which is fantastic, btw), she started telling me about the Twilight series, and how I needed to read them. I had heard of the books, of course - you can't walk into Barnes & Noble without running into a huge display of them - but I was admittedly very skeptical because I thought a "vampire series" just wasn't my thing. But when the hype around them continued to grow (probably thanks in large part to the movie, which comes out tomorrow), I kept hearing the same sentiment from everyone: "They're fantastic!" So I decided I'd make reading the first book in the series one of my challenges since it'd be a bit of a stretch for me book-wise. But even after I got the book (purchased for me, not by me) ,it sat on my shelf for a bit because I wasn't sure when (or if) I'd be in the right mood to get into it. Could I really get hooked on a vampire story?


When last Friday night came along it was blissfully empty of anything to do, and it was windy, rainy, and cold, which seemed the perfect night to start a dark and gothic book. So I bit the (silver) bullet and started it...and immediately was pulled in to a wonderful, exciting, and romantic story. And now? I believe the hype! You can count me among the many Twilight fans (and if you want to give me a Christmas present, the other three books in the series are on my list).


Check out my Goodreads review:


When 17-year-old Bella Swan uproots herself from Phoenix to move to tiny Forks, Washington, the last thing she expects is to become the most popular girl in high school. All the boys in Forks seem to fall head-over-heels for Bella, but only one piques her interest - Edward Cullen, her handsome-but-mysterious biology partner. After fate brings the two together on more than one occasion, Bella becomes obsessed with finding out more about the mysterious Edward, and, in the process, uncovers his dirty little secret - he's a vampire. As their lust for each other deepens and their worlds futher intertwine, Bella and Edward vow to stay together and to fight - even literally - for their love.


I wasn't sure about reading this one at first. All I had heard about the book was that it was about vampires - and the thought immediately turned me off. I like reading about shopaholics and drama queens...why would I want to read about vampires? But I took a chance, and I'm glad I did, because I ended up being hooked from the very first page. I loved how this book was more a love story than anything - a combination of old-fashioned teen lust and star-crossed romance. Like Romeo and Juliet, but with fangs. I also love Stephenie Meyer's pairing of the humorous with the serious. Bella's life is endangered several times throughout the story - but Meyer lightens the mood with plotlines that made me laugh (who knew vampires liked to play baseball? or attend the prom?)


So now I'm sucked in to the series (no pun intended)- and I can't wait to read the next ones

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am so jealous! Twilight is at the top of my list, but like you I refuse to buy it. I tried to reserve it at the library, but there are 3x as many holds as there are copies. Glad you loved it!

Julie said...

I caved and finally bought the book at Target for $9. It was worth it!